I have a sort of dinner club with 2 friends here and we each take turns cooking the main every Wednesday. It was my turn this time round and I opted to make my own variation of sweet potato and white bean burgers! I wanted to try something healthy, fast and cheap.
Ingredients ( 2 large patties);
- 2 large sweet potatoes
- 250g white beans
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- Ground black pepper
- 1 large egg (optional)
- Olive oil
- Peel and cube the sweet potato and boil them until soft enough to mash.
- Dry the sweet potatoes and allow them to cool.
- Once cooled, mash the white beans and seasoning in together.
- Optional; add the egg. I didn’t use one, because I found they bound very well together without it, however, they didn’t crisp up excellently.
- Create either 2 large patties or more mini patties.
- Heat olive oil in a frying pan.
- Cook the patties until they are a nice, crisp, brown colour.
- Serve with side salad, vegetables, whatever you fancy!
I apologise for the photo, my phone died before I could get a finished product photo, but here’s a mini patty cooking!
You can also bulk them out a bit with breadcrumbs or have a burger bun with them!