So I decided to try a new recipe as part of my Foodie Challenge. I made an attempt at Runner’s World Endurance Boosting Pisto from their amazing book The Complete Guide To Nutrition. It’s filled with advice, research, knowledge and delicious looking recipes that are healthy and help you perform at your best! They have a whole array of books available to look at here. Now for the recipe.
This serves 2 people and takes approximately 30 minutes start to finish.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 red pepper, deseeded, diced
- 2 garlic gloves, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed dried chillies
- 300g aubergine, cut into 2cm pieces
- 200g courgette, cut into 2cm pieces
- 400g skinned, chopped tomatoes (fresh or tinned)
- 2 large free-range eggs
- Pinch of hot pimenton (paprika)
- Sea salt and frehly ground black pepper
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan over a medium heat and add the onions and peppers and cover.
- Cook them gently for 7 minutes or until golden.
- Stir in the garlic, cumin and chillies and cook for 1 minute.
- Stir in the aubergine and cover and cook for 4 minutes.
- Stir in the courgette, season and cook for 4 mins.
- Stir in the tomatoes, 150ml water and seasoning, simmer for 7 minutes (you want the veg to be tender and the sauce thick).
- Break the eggs on top and sprinkle with pimenton (paprika), cover with a tight fitting lid and simmer gently until the eggs are cooked.
Here is what I ended up with! Not quite like the recipe photo, but it tasted really good despite appearances!
I had some variations, mainly portions, this does serve two but this was my dinner so I used 2 medium eggs instead and was unable to weight the vegetables so I just went for what I fancied. This is delicious and I really enjoyed it!
So there’s Foodie Challenge #1 complete! Stay tuned to see what I attempt next!