Another Foodie Challenge post! Today’s post is inspired by a good friend’s incredible soup recipe with lentils, tomatoes, onions and lots of amazing seasoning!
Ingredients (makes about 10 bowls)
- 500g puy lentils (best leave these to soak for an hour prior to making the recipe)
- 800g tinned tomatoes
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 1 red pepper, chopped
- 1 sweet potato, peeled and chopped
- 4 sticks of celery, chopped
- 4 cloves of garlic, crushed
- 1 inch piece of ginger finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons mixed Italian herbs
- 2 teaspoons Chili powder
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 4 bay leaves
- 1 stock cube
- Black pepper
- Salt to taste
- Olive oil
- Fill a pot halfway with water and start to boil.
- Add all the vegetables, lentils, garlic, ginger and sweet potato into the water.
- Bring to boil and then reduce to simmer for approximately 30 minutes (until the lentils are soft)
- Add the tomatoes and herbs.
- Stir it all together well and allow to simmer for a further 10 minutes.
- Taste the soup and season as required.
- My friend added some leeks at this stage and cooked for a further 5 minutes, this is optional.
- You can puree the soup or leave it nice and chunky.
This is truly a delicious and addictive soup but it’s nice a healthy! You can add more vegetables too such as courgette (zucchini), potatoes and aubergine (eggplant) too to add more vegetables. You would add these with the carrots! Another nice thing to do is to slice an entire aubergine lengthways, add a light drizzle of olive oil and some black pepper then griddle them as delicious dipping devices instead of bread! (We didn’t make these). And that’s it! A very easy soup that got protein in it and lots of healthy vegetables!